Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Things I can do now (day 54)

Key Stats: All BG's normal. 4 shakes 1 bar no off eating. 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minute walk, and 30 minutes in the pool.

I feel like my son must have felt when he was learning about what his body could do. I can do all sorts of things I was not able to do 54 days ago. I can make the number 3 with both hands by trapping my pinkie with my thumb. That might sound odd but I could not control my hand enough to do that before. I can sit crossed legged with one knee on top of the other. Don't know why I couldn't do that before, but now I can. I wonder what other new things I will be able to do?

In the exercise world the new things I can do are fairly amazing. I can ride hard for 20 minutes. I can do the elliptical without having to give my arms a rest for 24 minutes. Tonight only the second time in the pool I was able to swim 200 meters without taking a rest. Now I am not swimming fast, or even able to do the same stroke for the entire 200 meters, but I can do it. My walk that I do at lunch used to take me almost exactly 20 minutes, I don't try to walk fast, and now that walk takes me 17 minutes. I'll have to find a new route.

On the walking note, I know I must be going crazy. It was raining hard here almost all day, but when I saw a break in the storm I decided I had better go get my walk in. Now I didn't do that because I wanted to exercise, and I didn't do it because I wanted to lose more weight. I did it because I knew I wouldn't feel right for the rest of the day if I didn't get a walk in. I still have moments in the morning were it is hard to get out of bed. I still fight finishing the time I set on the machine. I still have an internal dialogue and struggle to go do what I need to be doing... but I am winning. It is getting easier to win. More and more it is becoming not just words I say to give myself motivation, instead they are words on conviction- I CAN DO THIS.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment