Saturday, April 13, 2013

Standing on the slippery slope (day 58)

Key Stats: No BG checks (meter at work), 4 shakes 1 bar, no off eating. 45 minutes in the pool.


Today I went with my son to a birthday party. It was a prince/princess party for a little 3 year old girl. The mom of the girl hosting the party went all out. Decorations, games, costumes and food. Dear lord the food. Many of my favorite treats and cravings. I knew it was going to be that, which is why it was important that I went.

I get to live in the bubble right now. I feel no hunger, and I have a very strict plan to follow. So parties like these are really not all that hard to go to. Sure I have to deal with the temptation, but saying no is fairly easy. Once I am off the program, things get much harder. Once out of the bubble and not having a strict plan I have to figure out how to eat at events like this. So I scanned the food looking at what I would take. Instead of saying some foods are bad, or some foods are good I look at portions. I had the plate I would have taken all mapped out. There was lots of treats, but there was a good balance of "good" food also. Off the plan today would have been a not great eating day, but I will have those. It is keeping things in balance that counts. I am glad to be learning that. Also at the end of the day I am proud of myself for today. I certainly could have eaten off, I could have had any of the food and most likely would not have even been noticed. I didn't though. I don't have to indulge just because the food is there, I never knew I could do that before. That is why it is important to stand on the slope some times and look down. You can see where you could be going, and know you don't have to. Today taught me how far I have come in just a short 58 days. Today re-affirmed for me that I can do this.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment