Sunday, April 28, 2013

Making exercise part of my life (day 73)

Key Stats: All BG's normal. 4 shakes 1 bar no off eating. 45 minute bike ride (7.8 miles)

My family had a lot to do today. It would normally be a swim day for me, but because of plans in the afternoon that was just not going to work out. So I sat down and talked it out with my wife for how to fit my exercise in today. It is hard being a good husband and a good father, while also working on being active every day. Sure I did the grocery shopping (and I volunteer to do that just so I get to walking in while doing it. When I go by myself I walk every isle just to get in more walking), but I really like getting in the "real" exercise. So we figured out that biking could fit in during my son's nap. But we had to fit it in. This is going to be hard to maintain. It was easy at first, my family just fit life around me starting to lose weight.. but I can't expect that to happen forever. At some point I have to find a way to fit the exercise around my family. But what order of importance do I put it? How much should I expect my family to work around what I need to do for myself? Is it unreasonable to take 60 minutes each day as I have set as my goal?

On similar note I really love getting out on my bike. I took a longer ride today than I have taken before. I also tackled a HUGE hill. I loved it. The rush of going downhill, the pride in going up that big hill. Getting to see parts of the city I have not seen before. I can not wait until I have save up enough money to get a good bike to go out on. I can not wait until I can ride for hours at a time (see above for fitting it in). I want to do a long distance ride. I certainly need a few parts of my body to toughen up first though... my legs and butt are sore today. But it is that good kind of sore. Pain is just weakness leaving the body. That is what my company commander used to tell us. I can't remember what movie he got it from, but I heard it all the time. I am shocked at myself, enjoying exercise. Sure I did it at the beginning because I had to- but I really do enjoy it now. I did not think that I had that in me. I can do this.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment