Sunday, April 21, 2013

Silly in spandex? (day 66)

Key Stats: No BG checks. 4 shakes, 1 bar no off eating. 10 minute walk with my son in tow, 20 minute bike ride, 45 minutes in the pool.

I hit a weird feeling today. My energy level is just through the roof. So I started out my day by getting dress warm and trying to take my son for a walk/run in the stroller. About .2 miles into he wanted to go home because he was tired. So we turned around and I took him home. Since I was dressed warm I decided I would get on the bike. I am finding that I really enjoy riding. So off I went, this time the course was 2.3 miles. Because of the cold I decided not to push it further than that, but I could have ridden much further if I had wanted to. Next time I ride will have to be a longer path.

Next time I ride though is going to be almost a week away. I took my bike in to get it tuned up. I was having some problems with the front derailleur, and I am ashamed to say that every attempt I made at fixing it just made it worse. Since it was in getting fixed up, and since it is a mountain bike and I have no plans on riding on a mountain, I had them also put some road tires on it. Now the rims are still a smaller 26" rim, and not the popular 700c you find on the real road bikes, but going from a knobby tire to a road tire is going to help my rides quite a bit.

So after my ride I went home played with my son, did some shopping, and relaxed a bit. I headed off to the pool to do some swimming. I sucked it up and got some swimming attire that is a bit more suited for lap swimming. I felt a bit like a fat man in a little coat in my speedo jammer shorts, but screw it. I'll look better in it every day, and as my wife puts it "You are always going to look silly in spandex to me."

After the swim I found I had this extra pool of energy. I think I found that thing people who exercise talk about all the time. The HIGH you get from exercising. It was amazing. I could have gone for a ride again, swam another 45 minutes- I danced like a crazy man with my son. I can't recall every feeling this way ever in my life. I am so happy I was able to take this extra energy and use it to have fun with my son. After it is not just for me that I am doing all of this- I am doing it for my family. I am getting healthy to be able to be the dad I want to be. I am getting healthy to be the husband I want to be. I am doing this to be what I need to be for my family. I can do this, not just for me, not just for them, but for all of us.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment