Friday, April 19, 2013

Running (day 64)

Key Stats: All BG's normal. 4 shakes 1 bar no off eating. 20 minute run.

Today was a big day in two ways. I had been toying with getting a bike so that I could take up riding, but the cost of a bike kind of put a halt to that idea. So I stopped at Fleet Feet in Madison to check out getting shoes to start running. I have had running in the back of my mind for a few weeks now, and wanted to see what it was all about. I really only stopped with the idea to make sure the store had what I wanted, find out the costs, and get a feel for if I thought I could do it. A bunch of my fears about running are injury related so I knew getting the right pair of shoes was going to be important. Well the stopping to check things out turned into getting shoes, inserts, socks, and shorts. I can say after going through the process that I have never been fitted for shoes before. And the short amount of time I spent on a treadmill made it clear to me that shoes where the cause of a bunch of my running problems in the past.

So home I went with new shoes on. It was a cold and crappy day today but I wasn't going to let that stop me. I downloaded a couch to 5k program for my phone, and off I went. The first couple of intervals went great, and then I just ran out of energy. It was then I realized I had planned to have one of my shakes before I ran but never did. So I really did run out of energy. Good news to report on the running front. My legs are tired from the running I did, but not sore. During boot camp I would get shin splints like crazy that I just had to run through, nothing like that happened this time. I don't know were running is going to take me, but I think I am going to make it a goal to finish a 5k race.

The second way today was big is possibly even bigger than starting to run. For dinner tonight we went over to a friends house for dinner and a movie. As the kids were eating dinner, and everyone but me as also eating dinner I noticed something very strange. I was sitting next to pizza, and not craving it. I could smell the pizza, see the pizza, and I could have touched the pizza if I wanted to... but I didn't want it. I didn't feel hungry, and I didn't have a craving for it. Honestly it didn't seem all that appealing. This is PIZZA we are talking about. I used to think pizza hut held meetings in my head to figure out how to advertise, as each advertisement made me want to order what ever it was that was on the TV. A month ago the smell of pizza drove me crazy because I could not have it. Today- Meh. The changes are becoming more and more evident. I can do this.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment