Saturday, April 27, 2013

Doing what I could not do before (day 72)

Key Stats: No BG checks. 4 shakes 1 bar no off eating. 30 minute bike ride for exercise, 10 minute bike ride with family.

Today I found at a garage sale a bike trailer. I got it cheap. 15 dollars. Sure it needs some TLC, and is in not the nicest shape, but it rolled well. With my bike back fresh from the repair shop I knew I had to start incorporating active life with family life, and this thing is the key. So after my exercise bike ride as a shake down I planned a biking family outing. My son love it, I loved it and I think my wife also enjoyed it. She needs a better bike but I doubt I will be able to convince her to spend the money for it.

I also really enjoyed my ride. There is a really nice bike path near my house that gives a wonderful view of our neighborhood, and offers a really nice hill climb. In all of the beginners biking stuff that I have read they recommend getting out and seeing areas you have not seen yet, and now I really understand why. I never knew such nice paths are around us. I look forward to bringing my stamina up some and really starting to explore. As it is I think I could have ridden longer, but I still was really doing a shake down ride. I'll have to get some gloves though, my hands where killing me. Also very glad I got the biking shorts that butt pad helps a ton. I am sure the areas that are sore today will toughen up over time but no reason to suffer while I wait for them to get tougher.

I ate lunch today with my mom, brother and my family. Desert was ordered, normally I join right in on that idea. But as I looked at what they ordered none of it look appealing. I remarked that each of those deserts is likely more calories that I am currently eating in a day, oh and this was after they all had large lunches. Watching my mom and brother I can see where I got my bad habits from. My brother is on the same path as I was on. I can only hope that seeing me and the changes I have made could inspire him to make the changes he has to make. I know he wants to live to see his daughter grow up the same as I wanted to live to see my son grow up. It is hard to make the changes, but they have to be made. I know he can do it, after I know I can do it.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment