Sunday, May 19, 2013

Finding time (day 93 and 94)

Key Stats: 4 shakes 1 bar each day, no off eating. 1 hour bike ride Saturday, 30 minutes in the pool Sunday.

Sorry for the missed post, but getting things ready for 3 kids coming over stopped me from posting Saturday night.

So Saturday taught me an important lesson, one I am sure my wife will not let me forget. Earlier in the week I purchased a new bike. A bike that is much more suited for the type of riding I am doing, and one that will I hope let me train for and ride in a 100 mile bike ride. I had planned to take it out Saturday for a long ride since I had been able to get out for short rides to make sure I knew how to ride it well. But time and energy became an issue. My wife wanted to go for a family bike ride, which I was hesitant to do- a family ride just didn't feel like it was going to be the type of exercise I wanted, plus since I pull the trailer I couldn't really take the new bike. But after understanding what type of ride my wife wanted to go on (not a short ride to a park, but a long bike ride) I said ok. I still was ready to be disappointed in how much exercise I got, and knew getting exercise in later in the day was going to be a problem. I was wrong. We rode nearly 8 miles and with having to pull the weight of the trailer and the weight of my son I was beat. We never rode as fast as I ride, and the 8 miles took way longer than it normally takes me, but I got my work out in plus some. In fact the unofficial scale is telling me I over did it since I didn't lose any weight. I really should add an extra shake in on days when I worry that I over did it.

Sunday was fun. We had some of my son's friends come over the house for a movie and lunch. I made a bunch of food for it, and got to watch my son have fun. It is days like today that make me know I am doing the right thing. I want to keep seeing days like today. I want to watch him grow older. I want to watch him with a real girlfriend and not just another toddler girl we joke is his girlfriend. I am doing all of this for those reasons. I grew up with no father, and I promised myself at an early age I would never put a child through that. So when I ride my bike, or swim, or turn down food I shouldn't eat... I am doing it to make sure I keep that promise. A promise I was not doing what I needed to do to keep in the past. A promise that I will from this day forward make sure I am always doing what I can to keep. I can do this, I can keep that promise to myself.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment