Saturday, May 4, 2013

A broken toe? (day 78 and 79)

Key Stats: All BG's normal. 4 shakes 1 bar no off eating- a day of travel and a day of rest (no formal exercise)

Sorry for missing the post yesterday. I got in late from my travels and was too tired and forgot to post.

I am so glad this long week on the road is over. Back to routine should have started today, but a trip to Urgent care stopped that. On Monday while trying to leave the house as quiet as I could I ended up slipping on the stairs in the dark (and making a bunch of noise). This slip left my big toe in sad shape. I never really had pain after the first day unless the toe got touched. But after 5 days of the toe not getting better, and in some ways getting worse I thought I better look into what it means to break a toe. Well after reading that having a broken big toe heal bad could make you need surgery I thought I had better get this looked at. Of course the only time I could really go was during my swimming time- so no swimming. Happy to report that my toe is not broken! It is just sore :(.

Tomorrow I go to good form running at Fleet Feet in Madison. I hope to pick up some good information on running form, and maybe come away with some people to run with. I really hope I am not the worst runner in the class. I know I shouldn't be but I am still very self conscious about being over weight. I find that when I tell people about my weight loss I always add "I still have a long way to go" and that statement is true- but not in the way people hear it. In truth the weight I need to lose isn't all that much compared to where I came from. If this was my starting weight I wouldn't be allowed into the VLCD program. But I do have a long way to go because I have a life time of food habits to over come. I have a life of not exercising to change. I am on the path, and there is light at the end of the tunnel- it is just still a very small light and some days it does not seem to get any bigger no matter how hard it feels like I am running at it. So I feel like I really do have a long way to go.

I had to go to the store tonight and get some pants. I had dress pants, and shorts, but no casual pants. I love being able to shop at normal stores and not have to find the big and tall section. While there I saw some spring/fall jackets and decided to try a few on to see where I stand with jackets. To my surprise the XL jackets were just too loose. XL was too big... So I tried on a L- dear god a large fit me. Now I am used to being LARGE not fitting in Large clothes. I almost purchased it just because it fit. But I still think I have inches to lose- many of them in fact so I decided against it.

So I am learning more about running, I read about biking nearly every chance I get, and I love swimming.. I guess I should just own up to it and say I am going to do a triathlon  The running just scares me. I am sure I can build up the biking, I know I can do the swimming- but running just has never been my thing. I always said I just don't have the frame for running- it worked as a good excuse. Well I am not ready to give that excuse up yet- lets see if I can run a mile before I commit to running. I can do that- I will set that as my goal- I am going to run a mile. I can do that. I can lose this weight, I can keep it off. I can get healthy. I can do this.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment