Thursday, May 16, 2013

All or nothing (day 91)

Key Stats: 20 minute bike ride, 35 minute walk. 4 shakes 1 bar no off eating. Official scale at 239- 8 pounds off for the week.

Today was a good day at class, we learned basically why the diet mentality is harmful. But I found myself in a very strange position- you see one of my core tenets is that I am an all or nothing person when it comes to weight loss. That really didn't sit well with me during class. All or nothing is who I am, when I get into something I get immersed in it, it is one of the things that makes me a geek (a geek is compliment and how I make my living is because of that). It is what makes me well... me. So hearing that is what can hurt you, well hurt me. But I did a lot of thinking about that since class ended and I started writing this. I was all or nothing on diets before- but this time is different.

You see this time I went all in. There was no or nothing, nothing was not an option I gave myself. So this diet is working. But it won't work long term. I think I have learned that that in this part of life it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I don't have to be perfect- I can't explain why it feels so much different than it did before, but I just don't have to be. I am still going to strive for it. Damn right I am going to try and have a "perfect" diet what ever that means. Damn right I am going to avoid the foods that are not the best choices. Damn right I am going to avoid slippery slopes. And damn right if I slip and fall and eat what I should not it is not going to become nothing. All has to include slips, all has to include not being perfect. That is the all or nothing, and the all in I can make work. All is doing the best you can all the time and being ok with yourself when you are not.  All doesn't have to be perfection, and I am not going to strive for perfection. Hell in baseball you can get into the hall of fame if you get a hit 40% of the time, I certainly can eat right better than percentage. I can be all, I just have to figure out what that all needs to be. A set of rules that I can make work. I can do it.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment